keene city hall

City Clerk

Clerk's FAQ

  • Information about City Clerk Functions

    Q: What are the City Clerk's business hours? A: The City Clerk is open 8:00 am to 4:30 pm Monday through Friday.
    Q: When do I license my dog? A: All dogs are required to be licensed after they receive their first rabies shot, usually between 3 and 7 months. Dog licenses expire on April 30th each year and must be renewed to avoid a civil forfieture fine. Visit our Dog Licensing Page for more information.
    Q: How do I get a Marriage License? A: The bride and groom must appear before a city or town clerk anywhere in the State of New Hampshire and must be married in the state of New Hampshire. There is a $50.00 fee. Identification is required in the form of a driver's license, passport or birth certificate. The Keene City Clerk's office only requires a driver's license. If it is not a first marriage a certified copy of a divorce decree or death certificate must be provided as appropriate. There is no waiting period in New Hampshire and the marriage license is valid for 90 days.Visit our Marriage Licenses page for more information.
    Q: How do I find a Justice of the Peace to perform a marriage ceremony? A: Justices of the Peace are located in the yellow pages of the local directory and some also advertise in the classified section of the Keene Sentinel, Keene's local daily newspaper. Their number is (603) 352-1234.
    Q: How do I get a certified copy of a birth, death, or marriage certificate? A: The person or a member of the immediate family may obtain certified copies of a vital record. The first copy of a vital certificate is $15.00. Any subsequent certificates ordered at the same time for the same person are $10.00. Certificates may be requested in person or by mail. Visit our Vital Records page for more information.
    Q: When does the City Council meet? A: The City Council meets the first and third Thursday of every month. View our Weekly Calendar online for currently scheduled meetings.
    Q: Questions about elections and voting? A: Please go to our Election and Voting page for the most current information about upcoming elections and how to register to vote.
    Q: How do I register my car? A: You can register your vehicle in the Revenue Collector's Office at 3 Washington Street. Their telephone number is (603) 357-9801. For an additional $3.00 per registration, state portions of the registration can be completed and most plates can be obtained at this office. For any other questions, please contact The State of NH Department of Motor Vehicles (located on Ash brook Rd in Keene off of Rte 9) at (603) 227-4000. Also, The State of New Hampshire DMV Website contains helpful information as well.
    Q: How do I file Incorporation papers or Articles of Agreement? A: You must begin the process at the State level by providing the Secretary of State's Office with 3 sets of the documents with original signatures of the founders, along with their required filing fee. The State will retain one copy for their records and return two copies to you. You will be required to file one original with the City Clerk's Office of the Town or City where the organization is based. The filing fee at the local level is $5.00. For further information regarding the State filing fee or other related questions, please visit the State of New Hampshire Secretary of State Website.
    Q: What types of liens are filed with the City Clerk's Office? A: Although certain liens (including Uniform Commercial Code (UCC), State, and Federal liens) were filed at the local Clerk's Office in the past, State Law has shifted that responsibility to the Secretary of State. As of January 1, 2006, City and Town Clerks no longer accept these lien filings, including terminations and continuations. However, a search of those records may still be requested for a fee of $10.00 per search and $1.00 for each photocopy provided. For information regarding lien filings with the State, please visit the State of New Hampshire Secretary of State Website.
  • Information about Keene

    Q: How did the City of Keene acquire its name? A. In 1753 New Hampshire Governor Benning Wentworth granted the township a charter and named the community Keene out of gratitude to and admiration for Sir Benjamin Keene, who was the British minister to Spain and who had used his influence, though unsuccessfully, to help Governor Wentworth obtain payment for some timber he had delivered to Cadiz, Spain. Visit the Cheshire County Historical Society for more interesting information regarding the history of Keene and other local communities.
    Q: What school district is Keene in? A: Keene is in SAU 29 they can be reached by calling (603) 357-9002, or visit the NH School Administrative Unit #29 website.
    Q: Who is the local television company in Keene? A: The current cable provider for Keene is Spectrum (formerly Time Warner Cable) and their phone number is (603) 352-6421. Visit their website for more details regarding services available.
    Q: Who do I call for electricity in the City of Keene? A: The local electric utility company in Keene is Eversource (formerly PSNH) and their phone number is 1-800-662-7764. Visit the Eversource website for more in depth information.
    Q: Who are the providers of public transportation in Keene? A: Local taxi service is provided by: Adventure Taxi - (603) 357-2933; Ideal Ride - (603) 352-2525; S&S Taxi - (603) 499-6237; Sunshine Taxi - (603) 852-0237; Tony's Taxi (603) 499-0025. Local bus service is provided by the City Express - (603) 352-8494. Long distance transportation is provided by Vermont Transit Lines, a Greyhound Bus subsidiary - (800) 231-2222.
    Q: Where can I get a map and visitor information about Keene? A: The local Chamber of Commerce has maps of the Keene and Cheshire County areas. They also provide visitor information. Their phone number is (603) 352-1303 and their address is 48 Central Square.
  • Miscellaneous Information

    Q: Where do I get a divorce or divorce records? A: Divorces are handled in the Cheshire County Superior Court. Please call 1-855-212-1234 or visit the Superior Court web page for further information.
      Divorce records between the dates of 1990 to within 6 months from the present search date are available in the City Clerk's Office. Outside of the listed dates, the divorce records are available in the Cheshire County Probate Court. Please call 1-855-212-1234 or visit New Hampshire Judicial Branch website for more information.
    Q: How can I get a copy of my house deed? A: Deeds are located in the Cheshire County building at 33 West Street in Keene. More information can be obtained by calling (603) 352-0403 or by visiting the Registry of Deeds website.
    Q: How do I start a new business in Keene? A: The City of Keene does not license businesses, however new business owners are encouraged to call the City of Keene Community Development Department to verify their location is zoned properly for their intended use. Businesses are required to register with the State of New Hampshire Secretary of State. Their number is (603) 271-3246. For help in starting a small business, there is a Small Business Development Center located on the Keene State College Campus. Phone number is (603) 358-2602.
    Q: How do I obtain a liquor license? A: To request a liquor license contact the New Hampshire Liquor Commission at (603) 271-1722. Visit the NH State Liquor Commission web page for additional information.
    Q: Where do I get a fishing/hunting license? A: Licenses are available at many sporting goods stores or you may contact the New Hampshire Fish and Game Department at (603) 352-9669. Licenses are also available online! Visit the NH State Fish and Game web page for details.
clock on main street