Mount Monadnock View

City Clerk

Marriage Licenses

Congratulations on your upcoming nuptials!  This is an exciting time that can be a bit overwhelming.  The City Clerk's Office is here for you to answer all your questions about getting married in the State of New Hampshire, and help you through the process of obtaining your License.  If you have any questions please contact us.

**Please note, Marriage Licenses are issued by this office Monday through Friday between the hours of 8:00 AM and 3:30 PM.**
  • Marriage in New Hampshire

    Couples who wish to get married in the State of New Hampshire must file for a marriage license.

    Marriage is the legally recognized union of two people. Any person who otherwise meets the eligibility requirements under State Statute (Chapter 457) may marry any other eligible person regardless of gender.

  • Obtaining Your Marriage License

    Both local residents and those from out-of-state can apply in the office of any town or city clerk in the State of New Hampshire.  If you choose to apply for your license in the Keene City Clerk's Office, you must make your application Monday through Friday between the hours of 8:00 AM and 3:30 PM.

    Both parties must appear before the City Clerk together to complete the application for a marriage license.  If either of you have been previously married, you will need to provide certified copies of divorce and/or death certificates for any previous marriages or civil unions....and don't forget your photo identification to confirm your age! (example: driver's license or passport)  The fee for a marriage license is $50.00 payable by check, cash or credit card payment.  (A convenience fee will apply to credit card transactions)

    There is no waiting period in New Hampshire, the license becomes valid for use immediately upon issuance.  The license is good for 90 days from the date of application, and it can be used anywhere in the State of New Hampshire.

  • Finding an Officiant

    The Keene City Clerk's Office does not perform marriage ceremonies.  We do provide guidance to couples as they look for an officiant to perform their marriage ceremony.  Here are a few of your options when choosing an officiant:

    a. a Justice of the Peace commissioned in NH
    b. Ordained Clergy residing in NH

    You may also choose a non-resident Justice of the Peace or Clergy, however that individual will need to obtain a Special License to officiate your marriage from the NH Secretary of State.

    Specific questions about choosing an officiant can be directed to the City Clerk's Office.

  • Changing Your Legal Name

    Each applicant should be prepared to state on the marriage license application what their name will become, subject to the parameters dictated by New Hampshire State law.  According to New Hampshire Statute 5-C:41 ll-a: Upon entering into marriage, either party may do one of the following

    a. retain his or her surname prior to the marriage
    b. change his or her surname to the surname of the other party
    c. change the surname to a hyphenated combination of the full surnames of both parties

    If a party requests a surname change under this paragraph, that party may also change his or her middle name to his or her surname prior to the marriage.

    The name you choose when you apply for your marriage license application will become your sole legal name after marriage.  If you wish to do something other than what is permitted by Statute, you will need to request approval of the Court.

  • Obtaining Your Marriage Certificate

    After the marriage ceremony is performed, the officiant will return the certificate to the city/town clerk of issuance (Normally within 6 working days).  Once the certificate is received from your officiant, you can then request a Marriage Certificate from the clerk's office.  A fee of $15.00 will be charged for issuance of the certified copy.

    Please go to our Vital Records page for more information regarding requesting a Marriage Certificate. There are several options available for your convenience!

    To obtain further information please call the City Clerk's Office at 603-352-0133 extension 2.