Community Development

Community Development

Property & Housing Safety Standards

We rely on the public to assist in identifying potential violations of the City of Keene’s Property & Housing Standards. Many of the most common complaints can be rectified with little effort. The City will investigate all complaints and determine if there is a violation, based on the Property & Housing Standards, which may or may not lead to an enforcement action. During the initial investigation, the owner may have already corrected the issue, or we may discover that there is no violation as outlined in the Standards. When reporting a potential violation, submitting your contact information will allow the Housing Inspector to provide details of the case, though you may choose to remain anonymous.

For any other violation not addressed under the Property & Housing Safety Standards, you can contact the correct department by clicking here.

To report life-threatening emergencies, call 911.

Ryan Lawliss, Housing Inspector
(603) 352-5440
Portal Home to submit a complaint or search an existing case

  • Chapter 18, Article III, Property & Housing Safety Standards

    The purpose of this article is to provide minimum standards for property and housing use and maintenance not otherwise incorporated into the building code necessary to preserve neighborhoods, abate nuisances and protect the public health, safety and welfare of city residents.”

    The link to Chapter 18 is a searchable pdf; within the Table of Contents, click on any Section for more information. If you would like to search for one specific topic, click Control F to open a search box and type in your search into this box. You can reach us Monday – Friday, 8:00 Am – 4:30 PM at (603) 352-5440 with any questions.

    Access a free version of Adobe Reader here.

    Building Regulations, Chapter 18

  • What information needed to report a potential violation?

    Using the link above, Portal Home to submit a complaint or search an existing case, the property location and the description of the potential violation are required information to report a complaint. If you are unsure of the specific address, please call the office to speak to staff about submitting a complaint. You can reach us Monday – Friday, 8:00 am – 4:30 pm at (603) 352-5440.

    If the potential violation is inside a house, apartment or building, our inspector will need to speak to the resident and/or the building manager of that location to gain access for an inspection. Please note, if this complaint is for a specific apartment, the tenant must still have access to the space for an inspection to occur.

    Providing as much detail as possible and thoroughly describing any issues will aid our inspector in conducting his investigation.

    If you would like the inspector to reach out to you directly, please provide your name and best contact information, though you may choose to remain anonymous. Your name will not be listed online, but will be recorded in our database, which is public knowledge.

  • What are some potential violations to report?

    Examples of potential violations include the following:

    • A dumpster overflowing with trash
    • Unregistered/uninspected vehicles
    • Cars parked on an unapproved surface (such as on the grass)
    • Furniture, litter or debris in a yard
    • Power and/or water issues
    • Lack of heat during the winter months
    • Condition and safety of the building
  • Ways to file a potential violation

    • There are three ways to file a complaint: Call the Community Development Department (603) 352-5440
      • Monday – Friday, 8:00 am – 4:30 pm
    • Submit a complaint via our online platform
    • Make an appointment to visit us in the Community Development Department
      (located on the 4th Floor of City Hall at 3 Washington St.)
      • Monday – Friday, 8:00 am – 4:30 pm
  • Following up on a complaint

     There are two ways to follow up on a complaint:

    • Call the Community Development Department (603) 352-5440
      • Monday – Friday, 8:00 am – 4:30 pm
    • Check the status of your complaint on our online platform
  • Voluntary Inspection Passed Inspection List

    The Voluntary Inspection Program is a collaboration between the City of Keene, Keene State College and local landlords to ensure off campus housing meets the minimum standards set in Chapter 18, Article III of the Keene Ordinance. Only rental units that have passed the 21 point Voluntary Inspection are listed on the Keene State College off campus Housing listing. You can reach us Monday – Friday, 8:00 Am – 4:30 PM at (603) 352-5440 to schedule a voluntary inspection or with any questions.

    List of Passed Voluntary Inspections

    21 Point Voluntary Minimum Housing and Safety Standards Inspection Checklist