City Hall, Keene, NH

Online Services

Tax, Water/Sewer, and Miscellaneous Invoices

Pay your Property Tax, Utility Bill, or General Billing invoice online here 
Any problems using the Property Tax & General Billing portal please see the Frequently Asked Questions or Munis Citizen Self Service (CSS) User Guide**WHEN ENTERING PARCEL ID PLEASE ENTER ONLY THE PARCEL ID AND NO OTHER INFORMATION ON THAT PAGE**  Please contact us at (603) 357-9801 with any tax or general billing questions.

If you choose to mail in payments, please mail water and sewer bill payments to the City of Keene at P.O. Box 544, Keene, NH  03431.
If you have questions, contact Revenue Collection at (603) 357-9801 or send us a message.

Motor Vehicle Registration and Estimates

City of Keene local and State motor vehicle registration renewals may be completed online using EB2Gov.  The State of NH Division of Motor Vehicles provides services online via including online driver license renewal, ID renewals, and ticket payments.

Building Permit Applications

Apply for a building permit online. Please contact the Community Development Department with any questions.

Property Violations and Complaints

Submit a complaint or violation, or search an existing case. Please contact the Community Development Department with questions

Cemetery Search

Our online cemetery search is available to the public.  Please call (603) 357-9829 with questions.

City Council & Council Committee Meetings Videos

Check our "Meeting Videos" page for information on scheduled meetings, live streaming, and recordings as well as meeting agendas.

Dog Licensing Renewals

Your dog's license can also be renewed online using EB2Gov. You may also renew and pay by phone by calling (603) 352-0133 ext. 2.  If you prefer to mail in your renewal, there is a dog license application form available here that can be submitted by mail along with the applicable fee.  Copies of current rabies and spay/neuter (if applicable) certificates are required.

Keene Public Library

See the Library Website for current information.  Please call the library at 603-352-0157 for more information.

Moving Violations: State of NH Online Payments

This service enables the public to pay traffic tickets online at Most traffic tickets issued will qualify to be paid online, however, online payments will only be accepted within 31 days of the violation. Tickets that indicate “Must Appear” or “Must Respond” to the court cannot be paid online.

Parking Tickets

Pay parking tickets online.  Parking ticket payments can also be mailed or placed in one of the drop boxes on various parking meters in downtown. Please contact Parking Services with questions or to submit a credit card payment by calling 603-357-9845 Monday thru Friday, 8:00am to 4:00pm.

(Parking Services will be transitioning to a new ticket payment system with Passport.  There will be a $4.00 processing fee when payments are made.)

Parks and Recreation Programs and Services

Program Registration (bus trips, youth programs, etc.), Facility Rental and Parks & Trails Finder resources are provided online for your convenience.  Please call (603) 357-9829 with questions or go directly to our website,

Property Records, Maps and Exemption & Credit Applications

Public records relating to parcel information and maps can all be filled out and mailed to the Assessing Department.  Click here to be redirected to the various forms If you need assistance please contact the Assessing office at (603) 352-2125.

Vital Records - Certified Copies of Birth, Death or Marriage Records

You may order a certified copy of a birth, death or marriage record online using your credit card through our only approved Internet ordering service: VitalChek Network, Inc.  For more information about vital records, please click here.

Welfare/Human Services

The Human Services department provides an Application for General Assistance online.  A complete financial review is required for each request for assistance.  Human Services makes referrals to programs that help individuals and families return to a state of self-sufficiency.  Call (603) 357-9809 with questions.