drinking water festival 2017

Public Works

Rates & Fees

Please click on various sections below to see rates and fees associated. 

  • Permit Fees

    1. Encumbrance Permit: $50
    2. Excavation Permit: $75 + Infrared Deposit (if applicable)

    *Inspection fees may apply.

    Click here to submit a permit application online

  • Recycling Center Fees

    HHW Information

    Items that can be brought to the Keene Recycling Center at NO CHARGE:

    *Please do not leave recyclables in plastic bags*

    • Glass food and beverage containers (no ceramics, window glass, drinking glasses, bakeware or light bulbs)   Please remove tops if possible
    • Steel and aluminum cans, aluminum foil, pie tins and trays
    • PETE #1 (Polyethylene Terephalate) and HDPE #2 (High Density Polyethylene) plastics (tops are OK) – NO STYROFOAM, LARGE PLASTIC TOYS, PLASTIC BAGS, OR PLASTIC FILM
    • Newspapers (inserts are OK)
    • Mixed paper (including magazines, catalogs, junk mail, envelopes, stationary, computer paper, office paper, boxboard, and shredded paper) – NO SOILED PAPER, JUICE BOXES, CARTONS, STYROFOAM, PLASTIC BAGS OR SHIPPING ENVELOPES WITH BUBBLE WRAP INSIDE
    • Paper bags
    • Books and magazines
    • Lead fishing weights (located at the recycling center public area, near the book and magazine drop off)
    • Used clothing (must be clean, dry and bagged)
    • Lead-acid batteries, all Lithium, Nickel-Cadmium, and Nickel Metal Hydride rechargeable, and button cell batteries (regular alkaline & heavy duty batteries are trash or can be brought to Staples for recycling.)
    • Scrap metal – Items made of more than 50% metal, stoves, washers, dryers, and equipment such as lawnmowers, trimmers, etc. (ALL fluids MUST be removed from gas powered equipment) – microwaves are not allowed in scrap metal (charged as electronics)
    • Yard trimmings (leaves, grass clippings and pine needles)
    • Cell phones
    • Cooking oil (liquid)
    • Passenger car tires without rims (KEENE RESIDENTS ONLY – 4 tires per registered vehicle per year-must show valid Keene registration) Residents of other towns see below
    • Compact fluorescent bulbs (KEENE RESIDENTS ONLY)

    Public Refuse Drop Off Rates:

    Only Checks and Punch Card Disposal Tickets are Accepted for Payments (CASH, CREDIT, AND DEBIT CARDS ARE NOT ACCEPTED AT THE RECYCLING CENTER)

    • Disposal tickets are available for sale for $40.00 at the Keene Recycling Center (Checks or Money Orders Only) or the Keene City Hall Revenue Collections Office (Other forms of payment are accepted)
    • Disposal tickets are good for 400 pounds of refuse
    • $2.00 per 33 gallon or smaller bag, up to 10 bags
    • $4.00 per bag larger than 33 gallons
    • More than 10 bags or loose refuse, including upholstered furniture will be weighed at $0.10/lb / $200 per ton
    • Mixed load of non-recyclable construction debris (Pressure treated wood, sheetrock, etc.) $0.10/lb / $200 per ton
    • Mattresses with innersprings (each) $20.00 – foam or futon mattresses are charged as household refuse ($0.10/lb)
    • Box springs - $2.50

    Items That Require a Fee for Recycling:

    • Appliances that contain freon – refrigerators, air conditioners, dehumidifiers, etc. - $15.00 each
    • DIY min-split units that contain freon --$30.00
    • Christmas trees - $2.00 each (All lights and decorations must be removed)
    • Brush - $0.0625 /lb/ $125 per ton
    • Shingles, clean load (tar paper, nails, some flashing is ok (NO PLASTIC, VINYL OR TRASH MIXED IN) $0.0625/lb / $125 per ton
    • Fluorescent bulbs - $0.20/ft ---- CFL bulbs - $2.00/ea
    • Electronics - $0.45/lb – (microwaves, tvs, computers, etc.), Solar Panels - $0.62/lb
    • Passenger car/light truck tires up to 17 inch – $4.00 each (OFF RIM) - $8.00 each (ON RIM)
    • Truck tires 18- 23 inch -- $10.00 each (OFF RIM) - ) $15.00 each (ON RIM)  -- over-sized tire prices vary
    • Propane tanks – (up to 20lbs) $2.00   (30-100lbs) $20.00
    • Helium tanks - $5.00
    • Fire extinguishers - $10.00

    Pressure treated (PT) lumber is non-recyclable wood and would be charged as trash at $0.10/lb.

    Any non-PT lumber that is painted, stained or has nails, such as cabinets, wood siding, all wood furniture or particle board can be recycled at $0.075/lb.

    Recyclable Electronics or E-Waste:

    TVs, computer equipment, laptops, printers, office copiers, microwaves, etc. are weighed at $0.45/lb with a $9.00 minimum. We are now taking solar panels in electronics at $0.62/lb.

    Smoke Detectors – Contact the manufacturer for proper disposal.

    There is free compost available for the taking – please bring your own shovel.

     Compost bins may be purchased for: $50.00 (Keene residents) and $70.00 (non-Keene residents)

    • Rain barrels may be purchased for $75.00

     Not Allowed Items:

    • Medication – Disposal dropbox at Keene Police Department for prescription medication (controlled and non-controlled), over-the-counter (OTC) vitamins, syrup, ointments, creams and lotions.
    • Ammunition, fireworks, gun powder and flares – bring to the State Police

                 Call NH State Police and leave a message: 603-223-8590

    DISPOSAL OF MEDICAL SHARPS – USE a thick-walled sturdy plastic container with a tight fitting screw cap, such as an empty laundry detergent bottle. LABEL the container with the words, “Medical Sharps Container. Not for Recycling.” When about half-full, SEAL the container with heavy-duty tape. DISPOSE of the container with your household trash, NOT your recycling.

    Operating Hours are Monday – Friday, 7:00 AM to 3:00 PM and Saturdays, 8:00 AM to 1:00 PM

    Phone: 603-352-5739

    We are CLOSED for the following holidays:

         New Year’s Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day

    The Keene Recycling Center and Transfer Station is located off Route 12, at 55 Old Summit Road, Keene, NH 03431 

  • Water/Sewer Rates

    Click here for current Water/Sewer Rates

    Seasonal Meters Information

    Water Quality Reports: Visit https://keenenh.gov/public-works/faqs and click on "What's in my drinking water?"

road work