Please click on various sections below to see rates and fees associated.
- Encumbrance Permit: $50
- Excavation Permit: $75 + Infrared Deposit (if applicable)
*Inspection fees may apply.
Click here to submit a permit application online
Recycling Center Fees
Items that can be brought to the Keene Recycling Center at NO CHARGE:
*Please do not leave recyclables in plastic bags*
- Glass food and beverage containers (no ceramics, window glass, drinking glasses, bakeware, or light bulbs) Please remove tops if possible
- Steel and aluminum cans, aluminum foil, pie tins, and trays
- PETE #1 (Polyethylene Terephthalate) and HDPE #2 (High-Density Polyethylene) plastics (tops are OK) – NO STYROFOAM, LARGE PLASTIC TOYS, PLASTIC BAGS, OR PLASTIC FILM
- Newspapers (inserts are OK)
- Mixed paper (including magazines, catalogs, junk mail, envelopes, stationary, computer paper, office paper, boxboard, and shredded paper) – NO SOILED PAPER, JUICE BOXES, CARTONS, STYROFOAM, PLASTIC BAGS OR SHIPPING ENVELOPES WITH BUBBLE WRAP INSIDE
- Paper bags
- Corrugated cardboard – NO SOILED CARDBOARD, NO STYROFOAM, PLASTIC BAGS, OR PLASTIC FILM.
- Books and magazines
- Lead fishing weights (located at the recycling center public area, near the book and magazine drop-off)
- Used clothing (must be clean, dry, and bagged)
- Lead-acid batteries, all Lithium, Nickel-Cadmium, and Nickel Metal Hydride rechargeable, and button cell batteries (regular alkaline & heavy duty batteries are trash.)
- Scrap metal – Items made of more than 50% metal, stoves, washers, dryers, and equipment such as lawnmowers, trimmers, etc. (ALL fluids MUST be removed from gas-powered equipment) – microwaves are not allowed in scrap metal (charged as electronics)
- Yard trimmings (leaves, grass clippings, and pine needles)
- Cell phones
- Cooking oil (liquid)
- Passenger car tires without rims (KEENE RESIDENTS ONLY – 4 tires per registered vehicle per year-must show valid Keene registration) Residents of other towns see below
- Compact fluorescent bulbs (KEENE RESIDENTS ONLY) Residents of other towns see below
Public Refuse Drop-Off Rates:
Only Checks and Punch Card Disposal Tickets are Accepted for Payments (CASH, CREDIT, OR DEBIT CARDS ARE NOT ACCEPTED AT THE RECYCLING CENTER)
- Disposal tickets are available for sale for $40.00 at the Keene Recycling Center (Checks or Money Orders Only) or the Keene City Hall Revenue Collections Office (where other forms of payment are accepted)
- Disposal tickets are good for 400 pounds of refuse
- $2.00 per 33-gallon or smaller bag, up to 10 bags
- $4.00 per bag larger than 33 gallons
- More than 10 bags or loose refuse, including upholstered furniture, will be weighed at $0.10/lb / $200 per ton
- Mixed load of non-recyclable construction debris (Pressure treated wood, sheetrock, etc.) $0.10/lb / $200 per ton
- Mattresses with inner springs (each) $20.00 – foam or futon mattresses are charged as household refuse ($0.10/lb)
- Box springs - $2.50
Items That Require a Fee for Recycling:
- Appliances that contain freon – refrigerators, air conditioners, dehumidifiers, etc. - $15.00 each
- Christmas trees - $2.00 each (All lights and decorations must be removed)
- Brush - $0.06/lb / $120 per ton
- Shingles, clean load (tar paper, nails, some flashing is ok (NO PLASTIC, VINYL OR TRASH MIXED IN) $0.0625/lb / $125 per ton
- Recyclable construction debris - $0.0725/lb / $145 per ton (NO PRESSURE TREATED OR CREOSOTE COATED WOOD, RAILROAD TIES, SHEETROCK, RUGS, INSULATION, CEILING TILES, VINYL, PLASTIC, PAPER OR CARDBOARD MIXED IN LOAD)
- Fluorescent bulbs - $0.15/ft
- Electronics - $0.45/lb – (microwaves, TVs, computers, etc.), Solar Panels - $0.62/lb
- Passenger car/light truck tires up to 17 inches – $4.00 each (OFF RIM) - $8.00 each (ON RIM)
- Truck tires 18- 23 inch -- $10.00 each (OFF RIM) - ) $15.00 each (ON RIM) -- over-sized tire prices vary
- Propane tanks – (up to 20lbs) $2.00 (30-100lbs) $20.00
- Helium tanks - $5.00
- Fire extinguishers - $10.00
Pressure-treated (PT) lumber is non-recyclable wood and would be charged as trash at $0.10/lb.
Any non-PT lumber that is painted, stained, or has nails, such as cabinets, wood siding, all wood furniture, or particle board, can be recycled at $0.0725/lb.
Recyclable Electronics or E-Waste:
TVs, computer equipment, laptops, printers, office copiers, microwaves, etc., are weighed at $0.45/lb with a $9.00 minimum. We are now taking solar panels in electronics at $0.62/lb.
Smoke Detectors May be Disposed of with Your Trash (please remove batteries)
There is free compost available for the taking – please bring your own shovel.
- Compost bins may be purchased for $50.00 (Keene residents) and $70.00 (non-Keene residents)
- Rain barrels may be purchased for $75.00
Not Allowed Items:
- Medication – Disposal dropbox at Keene Police Department for prescription medication (controlled and non-controlled), over-the-counter (OTC) vitamins, syrup, ointments, creams, and lotions.
- Ammunition, fireworks, gun powder, and flares – bring to the State Police
Call NH State Police and leave a message: 603-223-8590
DISPOSAL OF MEDICAL SHARPS – USE a thick-walled sturdy plastic container with a tight-fitting screw cap, such as an empty laundry detergent bottle. LABEL the container with the words, “Medical Sharps Container. Not for Recycling.” When about half-full, SEAL the container with heavy-duty tape. DISPOSE of the container with your household trash, NOT your recycling.
Operating Hours are Monday – Friday 7:00 AM to 3:00 PM, and Saturdays 8:00 AM to 1:00 PM
We are CLOSED for the following holidays:
New Year’s Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day
The Keene Recycling Center and Transfer Station is located off Route 12, at 55 Old Summit Road, Keene, NH 03431 (Directions)