Public Works


Expand the questions below to see more information.

Don't see an answer that you're looking for? Contact our office:

  • How do I report an issue in the City of Keene?

    For the following issues please visit See-Click-Fix our online work request application, send us an email at or call our office at 603-352-6550.

    • Bike Path Issue
    • Cemetery Issue
    • Dead Animal (on public property)
    • Drainage/Flooding
    • Graffiti
    • Manhole Issue
    • Parks Issue
    • Plow Damage
    • Sidewalk or Street Issues
    • Sign Issue
    • Street Light Issues
    • Trash Dumping (on public property)
    • Tree Issue
    • Water/Sewer Issue

    After-hours Emergencies: 603-357-9813

    Other issues: 

    • Community Development Issues (Building Code, Fire Code, Food Code, Housing Standard, Nuisance, Property Standards, Public Health, Site Plan Violations, State Statute, Voluntary Inspection or Zoning Code) please visit to file a complaint.
    • Natural Gas: Liberty Utilities: 1-855-327-7758 or KFD 603-357-9861 if you smell gas
    • Down and/or low-hanging wires: The City of Keene cannot touch any wires. Please report these issues to Eversource at 1-800-662-7764
    • Phone/Internet Issues:
      • Spectrum: 1-855-860-9068
      • Fidium/Consolidated: 1-844-434-3486
  • What are your hours?

    Main Office:
    Monday-Friday 7:30-4:00pm

    Monday-Friday 6:45-2:45pm

    Recycling Center:
    Monday-Friday 7:00-3:00pm
    Saturday: 8:00-1:00pm 

  • What do I do if my water bill doesn't look right?

    Contact the Water Billing clerk at 603-352-3239 to discuss your billing questions.

  • What's in my drinking water?

    Annual Consumer Confidence Report - Water Quality Report

    Roaring Brook Watershed Management Plan

    For previous years water quality reports please send a request to or call the Water Treatment Facility at 603-357-8483

  • How do I apply for a permit?

    Permit applications are available here.

  • What are your current rates and fees?

    Current Rates and Fees can be found here.

  • Where can I find the Household Hazardous Waste Schedule?

    Current Household Hazardous Waste information can be found here.

  • What's the process for filling a swimming pool?

    When filling your swimming pool there are two options: 

    1. Pay for water/sewer charges ($11.64 per hundred cubic feet (HCF) - approximately 750 gallons)
    2. Have City personnel come out and install a spacer so you will only pay for water charges ($5.35 per HCF), this option also requires a $90 service fee ($45 to install spacer and $45 to remove spacer)

    Either way you will pay for the water but it may prove less expensive to pay the water and sewer charges rather than to incur the service charges to remove and reinstall spacer. 

    Your first step is to calculate how many gallons of water your pool will take to fill. A pool filling calculator can be found here

    If your pool needs 

    • Less than 10,732 gallons, it will be less expensive for you to use your water through your meter and pay water and sewer charges. 
    • More than 10,732 gallons, it will be less expensive for you to contact the City to have your meter temporarily removed and a spacer installed. No sewer charge will be applied. Please call 603-352-3239 to schedule an appointment to have your water meter temporarily removed and a spacer installed.

    If you have any questions please feel free to call our office at 603-352-6550.

road work